Musings

Talk that has nothing to do with the other forums

Musings

Postby Mike Rogers » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:37 am

In these difficult times it's sometimes hard not to get dragged into the morass of awfulness that surrounds us.

Luckily we have music and this morning my spirits were lifted by a video posted to Facebook. It was of The Staves
singing "America' backstage. The harmonies are drop dead gorgeous - they are 3 very talented sisters.

Two other talented siblings are the Secret Sisters and I learned this week that their father is the bass player in the bluegrass
band Iron Horse who play very convincing versions of rock songs by band like Led Zeppelin, Metallica and GunsN'Roses.

Also this week the film 'I Saw The Light' made it onto the TV. Other in the family complained when I tried to watch it, and with
some justification. Tom Hiddleston, who had received a significant amount of coaching from Rodney Crowell, made a pretty good fist of capturing
the essence of the singing and stage presence of Hank Williams, but was less convincing in the non-singing elements. At times I thought the
pace was turgid and, Hiddleston aside, I felt the film was inferior to "Your Cheating Heart' in which George Hamilton portrayed Hank.

Apart from the farce at the dreadful Oscars (with PwC proving themselves as flawed at handling envelopes as audits), the other big news item
I picked up was the death of a major character in "Nashville'. (Naturally I will not reveal the name.) This has thrown social media into a
spin and fans have been wailing and crying to such an extent that I wonder if some of them can distinguish between truth and fiction.
It's a shame that the gentle wit of the late Terry Wogan is no longer available to us. Back in the day he got stuck into "Dallas" and I feel he would
have had a lot of fun with Juliette Barnes et al.

There seems to be a fair amount of decent new releases pending but no sign of an Emmylou 70th birthday album.

Gig wise I'm looking forward to Edwina Hayes in a few days - I haven't seen her for a while.
I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be
Mike Rogers

Re: Musings

Postby Harvey2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Wow, George Hamilton playing Hank Williams, that takes me back. I saw it on a double bill with an Elvis movie, not sure which one but it was either number 23 or 24. As for The Staves, I've been telling people about them for the past few years. They are sensational but you need to see them in concert to fully appreciate just how amazing they are. And Mike if you get the chance to talk with Edwina Hayes tell her that you're a friend of mine and she'll give you a big hug!
harvey
Harvey2

Postby Mike Rogers » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 am

Firstly a word about a couple of 'our own'.

When speaking with Edwina Hayes she told me that Harvey had had a heart attack. By re-connecting with him via Facebook I found out
he had come close to one but got the right medical attention. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this on here. He's easy to find on
FB as "Harvey Brown" if anyone wants to send me a supportive message.

I also learn that RJ Chesney's album Angels Falling has had a great review In Nodepression. Again, more on FB.

I'm pleased to say that most of the gigs I've seen recently have featured very talented women much younger than myself, which means that
I haven't been wallowing in nostalgia. The future is bright. My next gig will be to see the Carrivick sisters who are in fact twins and multi-instrumentalists.
They have both very fine pickers and highly rated in the bluegrass and folk scenes. They have also formed a larger group with 3 other fine musicians
under the name Midnight Skyracer. Again FB and uTube are your friends.

A band worth keep an eye on is Trimdon Grange Explosion which features the son of my original bass player. Again hotly regarded by those with their
ears to the ground.

Finally as the 'Nashville' tragedy still reverberates around social media I have to say I've seen some real crap masquerading as country music in funny places
on TV. It seems that when country enjoys bursts of extra popularity (as it does from time to time) it does so at the expense of its soul and becomes
almost indistinguishable from pop, and poor pop at that.
I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be
Mike Rogers

Postby Harvey2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks for the mention Mike. I don't like to say anything because you never know what's just around the corner only I do in this case, I'm due to have a by-pass in the next few weeks. I'm really looking forward to it because they say that I will be like a new man afterwards! Thelma is a bit concerned because she finds the old one hard work as it is but hey ho, here we go.

I must say Mike that you are getting to see some great acts at the moment. We had The Carrivick Sisters a few years back and they were fab. My next gig is Devon Sproule [ again] and she's amazing. Get's right into the zone.

UK tour tickets for The Staves go on sale tomorrow , Friday. I won't be able to travel for a few months though so let's hope they tour again later in the year.

Here's an early plug for The Beatles, Sgt Pepper 50th Ann. Re-issue with the original track-listing restored. In other words it's got Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever on it. Due July.
harvey
Harvey2

Return to etc.